I’m not a big fan of the Fall season, BUT, I do have to admit that I love being outdoors when the leaves change colors… Yesterday we spent a day in the woods with my dad and his wife, and it was just so beautiful! We went hiking on the Iskmo-Jungsund trail just outside of Vasa and eventually made a barbeque. Some of us were really hungry before the barbeque was ready, and needed a quick snack to get the blood sugar up again – and guess who saved the day? Well, I did, by surprising them all with natural and organic smoothies & coconut toffee’s from Humble! So, in this post, I thought I’d write about what snacks to bring on a forest hike, read on for more tips…
This post is written in collaboration with Humble.
Hiking and having a barbeque with the family
My family is very outdoorsy, so it’s not uncommon that we go hiking together. What my family however not is? Healthy. But this time around I was in charge of the food and snacks, soooo… For food: sticks with fruit, veggies, halloumi cheese and meat (for everyone else but me of course), and for snacks: Humble’s organic & 100% natural, cold-pressed smoothies and coconut toffees. The toffees were a hit, and my dad’s wife really liked the green smoothie.
What snacks I usually bring on forest hikes
I usually also bring a few bars and some trail mix when I go hiking, but as I had prepared food to throw on the barbeque, I didn’t bring with me “the usual pack of hiking snacks” this time around. But if you’re curious, here are some of my best tips on hiking snacks for a day hiking the forest:
- A fruit salad. Healthy and delicious!
- Some kind of nut mix, my favorite from Humble is this one with almond, peanuts, and raisin.
- Smoothies. Either you make them yourself, or buy one from your favorite smoothie brand. Mine is obviously Humble, and my favorite smoothies are the green smoothie and the one with mango.
- Healthy bars, like these ones from Humble.
- Rice cakes with some nut butter on top, yummy and packed with some energy-boosting fats!
Snacks; check! What else do you need to think about when doing a forest hike?
Of course, snacks aren’t the only things that you need to think about when going on a forest hike. You might also need to think of the following:
- Is there going to be a toilet, or do I need to go to the toilet before going on the hike..?
- Bring water, always bring water. Hiking makes you thirsty!
- Check the weather forecast and prepare your clothes accordingly.
- If you’re gonna have a barbeque, bring matches and do research if having a barbeque is allowed where you plan to have it.
- Charge your phone before you go out. If an accident happens while on the forest hike, you might want to have that phone of yours charged and ready to use…
- Bring a map, or download the Google Maps app!
- If you plan to stay late out in the forest, bring a flashlight or two.
A healthy, Fall-inspired smoothie bowl
OK enough talk about hiking, why don’t we end the post with a healthy, Fall-inspired smoothie bowl? Just because… Here comes the recipe for one person:
- Lingonberries (100 g)
- Blueberries (100 g)
- Coconut cream (2 full tablespoons)
- Dates (2-3, depending on how sweet you want)
- Bananas (1 ripe banana)
Blend, and top with chia seeds, peanut butter, buckthorn berries and a bag of Energy mix from Humble. Healthy, delicious and just SO good! I am obsessed with this smoothie bowl right now.
New webshop and a discount code
Hey, did you know that Humble released their new webshop just a few weeks ago? Ain’t that some good news! Their new webshop looks really nice, and in order to celebrate the launch of it, we thought we’d give you a discount so that you can make your first order in their new webshop! The discount code is: HANNA15 and gives you a 15% discount off on everything in their webshop! Unfortunately, they only ship within Finland at the moment, so the discount code is only available in Finland. Happy shopping and snacking! ♥